WONDER #2309: Where in the World is Machu Picchu?
Question 1 of 3
Why do people call Machu Picchu the “city of stone”?
- The city is high in the mountains and very cold.
- Incas cut the terraces from the mountains.
- All of the buildings are made of stone.
- Both b and c
Question 2 of 3
How do we know that other groups lived in Machu Picchu after the Incas left?
- They found written records of other groups.
- They found pottery from all over South America.
- The locals told them that other groups lived there.
- The structures of some of the buildings matched other groups.
Question 3 of 3
What is the main idea of this Wonder?
- Hiram Bingham “found” Machu Picchu in 1911 and brought many artifacts back to the US.
- The Incas built many great cities.
- Machu Picchu was a vacation spot for Inca royalty, and many people still visit it today in Peru.
- The Incas abandoned Machu Picchu, likely after the Spanish invaded South America.
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/where-in-the-world-is-machu-picchu.