WONDER #2358: What is Schizophrenia?
Question 1 of 3
Which of these statements about schizophrenia is NOT true?
- Schizophrenia causes hallucinations.
- Schizophrenia sometimes runs in families.
- Schizophrenia affects one percent of the population.
- Schizophrenia causes people to have multiple personalities.
Question 2 of 3
What is the best evidence that not all people with schizophrenia get treated for the disorder?
- “It only appears in about one percent of people.”
- “Unfortunately, about 40% of people with schizophrenia don’t see a doctor.”
- “Parents pass down genes that make their children more likely to have schizophrenia.”
- “The price tag is too much for many people, especially those without insurance.”
Question 3 of 3
What was the main idea of this Wonder?
- Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that is hard to live with, but it can be treated by doctors.
- Schizophrenia is just as common and depression or anxiety.
- Many myths exist about schizophrenia.
- There are many ways we can help people with schizophrenia, including learning about the illness.
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/what-is-schizophrenia.