WONDER #2370: What is Down Syndrome?
Question 1 of 3
Down syndrome happens when a person has an extra _____________.
- DNA strand
Question 2 of 3
What was the main idea of this Wonder?
- Chromosomes are small groups of genes that make up our DNA.
- The three types of Down syndrome are Trisomy 21, translocation Down syndrome, and mosaic down syndrome.
- Down syndrome is a chromosomal disorder that affects people mentally and physically, but it can be treated.
- Many people with Down syndrome do well with therapy, and some even become famous.
Question 3 of 3
Which is the best evidence that Down syndrome is not uncommon?
- “About 6,000 babies are born with Down syndrome in the U.S. each year. That’s about one in every 700 babies.”
- “Babies are born with Down syndrome at a higher rate to mothers 35 or older.”
- “Speech, occupational, and physical therapy go a long way toward improving the quality of life for people with Down syndrome.”
- “When a person has 47 chromosomes instead of 46, they have Down syndrome.”
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/what-is-down-syndrome.