WONDER #2454: Why Did Plague Doctors Dress Like Birds?
Question 1 of 3
The plague doctor uniform was designed by ______________________.
- Louis Pasteur
- King Henry VIII
- Charles de Lorme
Question 2 of 3
What caused plague doctors to put herbs and flowers in the beak of their masks?
- They wanted to smell good when they visited their patients, so they burned roses and mint in their masks.
- They believed the plague spread through bad-smelling air, so they thought the herbs and flowers would protect them.
- They preferred the smell of herbs and flowers to the smell of other plants.
- They believed the herbs and flowers had magical powers.
Question 3 of 3
This Wonder was mostly about...
- what the plague doctor uniform looked like and why they wore it.
- the best time to go to the Carnival of Venice.
- how fleas and rodents added to the Black Death.
- what to do if you think you might have the plague.
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-did-plague-doctors-dress-like-birds.