WONDER #2458: What Happens to Your Body When You're Scared?
Question 1 of 3
This Wonder was mostly about...
- the different parts of the brain and why they’re important.
- which haunted houses are the best at Halloween.
- how the human brain works with the rest of the body to respond to fear.
- why it’s important for people to always face their fears, no matter how dangerous.
Question 2 of 3
The __________________________ work together to decide whether a threat is real.
- heart and lungs
- hippocampus and prefrontal cortex
- brain stem and amygdala
- pupils and knees
Question 3 of 3
Which statement BEST proves that fear is meant to protect people?
- “When you see something that scares you, a part of your brain called the amygdala is alerted.”
- “The hippocampus tells you how to respond.”
- “The brain also tells your pupils to get bigger so that you can see better.”
- “When you near the edge of an elevated surface, you don’t get close enough to fall. These actions are triggered by fear, and they stop you from getting hurt.”
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/what-happens-to-your-body-when-youre-scared.