WONDER #2462: Who Was Guy Fawkes?
Question 1 of 3
What was the main idea of this Wonder?
- Guy Fawkes was involved in the Gunpowder Plot, a plan to overthrow King James I and the English Parliament.
- The fifth of November is a holiday celebrated across England.
- Guy Fawkes was an English hero who is today celebrated for his love of liberty.
- People shouldn’t celebrate Guy Fawkes Day because it supports violence.
Question 2 of 3
The group planned to blow up barrels of gunpowder below the _________________________.
- Windsor Castle
- Big Ben
- Palace of Westminster
- Cambridge University
Question 3 of 3
Which is the best evidence that the Gunpowder Plot would have been destructive had it succeeded?
- “First developed by Robert Catesby, the plot was to blow up Parliament and King James I in 1605.”
- “The group rented a cellar below the Palace of Westminster, where Parliament met. There, Fawkes hid 36 barrels of gunpowder.”
- “Fawkes agreed to bring his expertise to the group.”
- “There would have been total destruction within a 40-yard radius of the barrels. Windows as far as 900 yards away would have been smashed.”
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/Who-Was-Guy-Fawkes.