WONDER #2481: Why Do Woodpeckers Peck Wood?
Question 1 of 3
What was the main idea of this Wonder?
- Woodpeckers live in many places around the world.
- There are many types of woodpeckers.
- Woodpeckers peck wood to find food and build a home, and they have features that protect their brains as they peck.
- Woodpeckers peck wood very quickly, at about 20 pecks per second.
Question 2 of 3
Which is NOT a feature that protects the woodpecker’s brain while it pecks, according to this Wonder?
- A beak with two layers
- A spongy bone that absorbs the impact
- Fluid between the skull and brain
- Feet that hold tight to the tree
Question 3 of 3
In addition to insects, some woodpeckers eat the _________ inside trees.
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-do-woodpeckers-peck-wood.