WONDER #2519: How Do Languages Die?
Question 1 of 3
This Wonder was mostly about...
- how to learn a new language.
- the fall of the Roman Empire and how Latin became other languages.
- how languages die and what can be done to stop them from going extinct.
- why there are 6,000 languages around the world today.
Question 2 of 3
Which is the BEST evidence that languages are dying at a fast pace?
- “Sometimes, languages shift or evolve instead of becoming extinct.”
- “About half the world’s spoken languages are endangered.”
- “Linguists travel the world to record the last native speakers of dying languages.”
- “Experts say that another language becomes extinct every two weeks.”
Question 3 of 3
Which of the following is NOT a way languages die?
- People are forced to stop using their languages
- Languages evolve and become new languages
- People forget their language and start using a new one
- People feel pressure to use another language instead of their own
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-do-languages-die.