WONDER #2561: What is a Yeti Crab?
Question 1 of 3
Why do some people say Yeti crabs “farm” their food?
- They grow bacteria in their arm hairs and later harvest them to eat.
- They plant seeds on the seafloor and eat the vegetables that grow there.
- People do not say that Yeti crabs “farm” their food.
- The Yeti crabs have been seen growing many plants in warm water vents.
Question 2 of 3
What was the main idea of this Wonder?
- Many people search for the Yeti in mountains, but it’s actually a marine animal.
- Yeti crabs live on the seafloor as far south as Antarctica.
- Scientists should continue looking for more species of Yeti crabs.
- The Yeti crab represents a new family of crabs that have hairy arms and live in the deep sea.
Question 3 of 3
The Yeti crab’s scientific name is...
- Kiwa hirsuta
- Yeti shellfish
- Hairy lobster
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/What-is-a-Yeti-Crab.