Wonder #2828: Who Are the Water Protectors?
Question 1 of 3
What sparked the Water Protector movement?
- the increasing pollution of rivers, lakes, and oceans, which is expected to get worse the coming years
- decreasing access to clean water for more and more of the world’s population
- Enbridge’s plan to build Line 3, which Water Protectors argue will harm the environment and violate Indigenous sovereignty
- plans to build the Dakota Access Pipeline, which the Sioux tribe claimed would threaten their access to clean water and harm their sacred sites
Question 2 of 3
What is the name of the protests associated with the Dakota Access Pipeline construction?
- Standing Rock Protests
- Line 3 Protests
- Water Protector Protests
- Sioux Tribe Protests
Question 3 of 3
Which of the following is NOT a way that you can support the Water Protector movement?
- ask a family member to help you find out the pros and cons of oil pipelines
- read about Indigenous rights
- donate money to companies that construct oil pipelines
- learn about the treaties the U.S. and Canada have signed with American Indian nations
Check your answers online at https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/Who-Are-the-Water-Protectors.